Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ugh...shy girl here needs dating advice ;-)?

I'm shy.. I think he will be relatively shy, too. We're meeting in person for the first time on Friday night for a drink. How can I make it feel less painful? I dread the idea of the uncomfortable moments. Any advice? I think going to a movie would be too impersonal. What kind of place should I pick to meet him (I live in downtown NYC). thanks....Ugh...shy girl here needs dating advice ;-)?
i think you should just hang out, talk. ask him questions, and whenever there's a silence or you have nothing to say, drink from you're glass while you think up something to start a convorsation with. and whenever he asks you a question give and answer that will lead to another topic, or the same topic but in more deatil, never answer a question and say ';so how about you?';. just a few tips from a girl who won't shut upUgh...shy girl here needs dating advice ;-)?
Ohh congratulations on meeting for the first time!


You mentioned Friday NIGHT... I hope you're not going to be in some sorta rowdy bar... that would defeat the whole purpose of meeting... I would suggest a bar in a smaller type restaurant (Like Olive Garden has a small bar that guests can sit at and appreciate a few drinks and leave, or drink while waiting for a table, etc.) but nothing where theres a huge crowd, because it might be a bit frustrating to try to hear the poor chap.


But I think you're right that a movie would be too impersonal... you get to sit in silence and ignore eachother for 2 hours yay! I think if you focused on something that YOU LIKE... and if you guys meet somewhere, you could suggest... ';Well hey I wanted to check if there's this book at Border's, would you mind if we went there?'; - that's usually not a problem. Opens up all sorts of conversation. And I don't know about you, but once I get to talking about stuff I like there's no stopping me. Although I do realize that I got to running my face and I get embarrassed. But it's good to have something to talk about. And then you can decide what to do from there. Plus Border's has a cafe inside now, and so does Barnes %26amp; Noble if you end up just sitting around talking having coffee or hot chocolate or something.


I'm obviously not a dating casanova or anything. lol.


I went to NYC a couple years ago and .. well yeah I'm all touristy... but I did enjoy going to... was it Times Square? There's so much to do there...


Anyway good luck to you with whatever you decide. Don't forget to smile :)





Take it easy,


miR :)
Dinner at a mid level restaurant, not a diner, not a fancy place.
A coffee shop is always a safe bet. It's best on a first date to forget alcohol unless you feel comfortable with it - remember if you're driving you don't want to risk a DUI. If he is shy and you want to keep the talk casual he'll probably want to know about the common things(and these are good things for you to find out about him too) - what you do for a living, about your family, what kind of movies you like, what are your interests in music, do you dance, are you into outdoor things, sports, pets, etc. Make sure that you let him know up front that you take things slow and you like to get to know someone very well. If there is somewhere that you two can take a walk it kind of breaks up when there is a lull in the conversation. You can point something out that you see to break the silence. Just look at his first date as if you are meeting a friend you haven't seen for quite a while. You'll probably find some common ground(in your likes and dislikes) right away. Good Luck and have fun.
drinks sound great. maybe coffee instead? i hate movies for dates. you can't talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment